Job Title: Snowmaker
Reports To: Hill Manager
Wage: $12 starting; increases with certifications acheived
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Summary: Tends artificial snowmaking equipment of ski resort to produce artificial snow along ski trails: Rides chair lift or drives snow-terrain vehicle along ski trails to reach snow equipment. Attaches hoses from snow equipment to nozzles of above-ground outlets for underground compressed air and water pipelines, using wrenches. Turns outlet valves to adjust compressed air and water mixture to obtain desired snow spray. Returns defective or frozen snow equipment to the ski lodge for repair, using snow vehicle. Repositions equipment periodically to direct snowfall to other sections of trail, or closes valves to shut off equipment when snow coverage is completed. Cleans dirt and frozen snow from equipment, using hand tools.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Tends to artificial snowmaking equipment of ski resort to produce artificial snow along ski trails and designated areas.
- May ride chair lift or drive snow-terrain vehicle to reach snow equipment.
- Maintains inventory and stock of spare parts; maintains work records of equipment repair and servicing; and maintains equipment safety records.
- Provides assistance to other departments as needed to contribute to the smooth operation.
- Reports to the Hill Manager any safety issues that may need immediate attention.
- Assists in the preventative maintenance program on a daily, weekly, monthly and as-needed basis.
- Trains other employees in safety practices and in the routine and preventive maintenance of equipment. Ensures proper sign-out and use of equipment.
- Follows established safety procedures.
- Complies with all policies and procedures.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); and two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
Ability to add and subtract two-digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10’s and 100’s. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Certificates and Licenses
Valid Drivers License
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts; work in high, precarious places; toxic or caustic chemicals; outdoor weather conditions; risk of electrical shock and vibration.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and use hands. The employee is frequently required to walk; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and push and pull up to 30 pounds.